This Christmas, Tesco will be running their third Neighbourhood Food Collection in a bid to collect 10 million meals for those in need by the end of the year.
Customers at Tesco in Broadbridge Heath and Pulborough will be invited to donate food in store from Friday 29th November until Sunday 1st December, as the retailer gears up to hold the biggest ever food collection in the UK.
Tesco will be joined by Foodbanks charity the Trussell Trust and food redistribution charity FareShare for the collection.
Customers at the Tesco will be given a special selected shopping list when they enter the store and will be asked to pick up an item of food such as long-life milk, cereal, tinned foods and tea and coffee before donating it at the end of their shop.
The food will then be collected by the Horsham District Foodbank before being distributed to people across the Horsham District in times of crisis.
“Winter is the hardest time of year for people living in poverty, and this Christmas is looking especially tough as fuel prices continue to rise. We’re delighted that Tesco are working with us to help stop local people going hungry and we hope that many people will donate a tin or two,’ says David Sheldon, Chief Executive of Horsham Matters who are delivering the Horsham District Foodbank. “The Horsham District Foodbank will be using this opportunity to collect goods prior to launching fully in the New Year, but anyone who is crisis can still contact Horsham Matters and we will do what we can to help”
Tesco will be topping up total donations by a further 30%.
For media enquiries on the Neighbourhood Food Collection please contact Emma Capon in the Tesco press office on 01992 644 645/ [email protected],com or Devries SLAM on 0207 067 0025/ [email protected]
For media enquiries on Horsham District Foodbank contact David Sheldon on 211833
For media enquiries on the Trussell Trust and information on case studies, please contact Molly Hodson in the Trussell Trust press office on 01722 580 182 or via email: [email protected]
Join the Help Feed People in Need appeal on Twitter: #everycanhelps and Facebook: http://en-gb.facebook.com/tesco
Notes to Readers
About the Neighbourhood Food Collection
- Every Tesco store in the Horsham District will be taking part in the collection and customers will also be able to be make an online cash donation to the appeal
- Tesco will be topping up total donations by a further 30%,
- Tesco colleagues, volunteers from FareShare and the Trussell Trust will be helping customers donate food between 30 November and 1 December
About the Trussell Trust:
- The Trussell Trust’s award-winning UK foodbank network partners with churches and communities to provide three days nutritionally-balanced emergency food to people in crisis.
- Over 90% food given out by foodbanks is donated by the public. Every foodbank recipient is referred by a frontline care professional such as a doctor, social worker or schools liaison officer.
- Three new Trussell Trust foodbanks are launching every week. The Trussell Trust has launched 400 foodbanks nationwide.
- Over 350,000 people received three days’ emergency food from a Trussell Trust foodbank in between April and September 2013, more than the total helped in the whole of the 2012-13 financial year.
- Less than 5% of foodbank clients are homeless, many are working families struggling to make ends meet.
For more information on the work carried out by Trussell Trust foodbanks visit: www.trusselltrust.org/foodbank-projects